1st Vignette Try - Testing Monday

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

1st Vignette Try - Testing Monday

Postby nicolenalvarez » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:23 am

First attempt at the ncarb's online vignette. I test in less than a week. For my screenshots, I tried to zoom in to show more detail (the other two images). Please provide any feedback possible - many thanks. Here are a few assumptions I wanted to double check and other questions I had while drafting:

1. I drew footing+foundation at 6'-0" assuming a 12" footing depth so the top of footing was at the 5'-0" frost line.
2. To find correct duct height, should I find the deepest duct it would relate to and then center the cut duct on the biggest? Then the light fixture and structural spacing are off the largest duct?
3. Similar to previous question but about structural - should we find the deepest structural member to offset from that? Didn't see a change in depth within a floor on this one, but there were beams noted so wasn't sure if that would affect my ceiling height.
4. Should I add a buffer of an inch or two to any of these spacings? I made it as exact as I could, but you know this software... would hate for it to be a bust.
5. Should I have drawn my grade line on the section cut?
6. Should the grade line be one continuous line across the whole drawing?

THANK YOU!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nicolenalvarez

Re: 1st Vignette Try - Testing Monday

Postby thd7t » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:49 am

First, you need to make sure to watch the NCARB vignette video. It addresses most of your questions, but I've added answers in bold below where I can.. Second, you haven't drawn your rated corridor walls on either floor. You have put an unrated wall on the second floor, which is not in the program and missed the unrated wall on the first floor. When you put unrated walls in, be sure that they go 6" above ceiling level. Rated walls need to go up to deck. These are major errors, but you have plenty of time to get this down. Please post more practice solutions. Good Luck!

nicolenalvarez wrote:First attempt at the ncarb's online vignette. I test in less than a week. For my screenshots, I tried to zoom in to show more detail (the other two images). Please provide any feedback possible - many thanks. Here are a few assumptions I wanted to double check and other questions I had while drafting:

1. I drew footing+foundation at 6'-0" assuming a 12" footing depth so the top of footing was at the 5'-0" frost line.
This is fine, but you can also go with 5' to bottom of footing. I went in between and it was a pass.
2. To find correct duct height, should I find the deepest duct it would relate to and then center the cut duct on the biggest? Then the light fixture and structural spacing are off the largest duct?
Look at all the joist + duct combinations on the floor. The largest combination is your answer. Do the 3.1 vignette, it addresses this more clearly.
3. Similar to previous question but about structural - should we find the deepest structural member to offset from that? Didn't see a change in depth within a floor on this one, but there were beams noted so wasn't sure if that would affect my ceiling height.
This is the same as 2. It's a combination.
4. Should I add a buffer of an inch or two to any of these spacings? I made it as exact as I could, but you know this software... would hate for it to be a bust.
No. You are trying make it efficient.
5. Should I have drawn my grade line on the section cut?
That doesn't matter.
6. Should the grade line be one continuous line across the whole drawing?
Yes.

THANK YOU!
thd7t

Postby nicolenalvarez » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Great thank you so much. I've got some practice ahead of me, but your comments were extremely helpful.
nicolenalvarez

Postby Sparky83 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 am

The slab should NOT be between the footing and bearing walls. Extend the footing up to the top of the slab.
Sparky83

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES