MasterFormat...????

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

MasterFormat...????

Postby pig » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 am

MasterFormat: Highest level of organisation: Group, Subgroup, Division

From Kaplan:
"CSI Masterformat is divided into Divisions, Sections and Parts"
"Each Section is further divided into Three Parts: General, Materials, Execution"

So with the 6 digit number and title, for example, "050170.91 Historic Treatment of Decorative Metal"
05=Division
01=Section???? (level 2)
70=Parts???? (level 3)
.91=????? (level 4)

What are sections?
I look at the SectionFormat Outline in Kaplan that shows what Part 1, 2 and 3 are supposed to be about, and I am so confused.
Does anyone has a sample of what an actual Spec would look like that they can share please?
pig

Re: MasterFormat...????

Postby Coach » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:09 pm

There are specs all over the web.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby seaccs » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:18 pm

The information you're getting from Kaplan is incorrect.

CSI's MasterFormat has Groups, Subgroups, Divisions and Sections. There are two groups: Procurement and Contracting Requirements Group (contains Division 00), and Specifications Group (contains Divisions 01-49). The Specifications Group is divided into five Subgroups: General Requirements Subgroup (Division 01), Facility Construction Subgroup (Divisions 02-19), Facility Services Subgroup (Divisions 20-29), Site and Infrastructure Subgroup (Divisions 30-39), and Process Equipment Subgroup (Divisions 40-49).

Divisions are the top level in the hierarchy of section numbering and are the first two digits of the section's number. Levels 2-4 are the next numbers that together identify specific work results (i.e. a section). Specification sections are at a minimum 6 digits, and the 7th and 8th may be included if necessary. Not all sections will include numbering to all levels. Each level is two digits so your example of 050170.91 is simply just showing all 4 levels.

For Parts, you need to understand that MasterFormat doesn't govern how a specification is written. It only addresses where it is located/what it is numbered. CSI's SectionFormat provides a uniform approach to organizing specification text. SectionFormat's structure is divided into three Parts: Part 1 - General, Part 2 - Products, and Part 3 - Execution. Further, each Part contains one or more articles, each article contains one or more paragraphs, each paragraph may contain subparagraphs as needed.

So to recap:
MasterFormat:
Group > Subgroup > Division > Section
Section number = Level 1 (Division), Level 2, Level 3, and Level 4 if necessary ... 11 22 33(.44)

SectionFormat:
Part 1 - General, Part 2 - Products, Part 3 - Execution.
Each Part contains one or more Articles, each Article contains one or more Paragraphs, each Paragraph may contain one or more subparagraphs as needed.

Find any specification section and you should see all of these things represented.
seaccs

Postby pig » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:18 am

thank you so much for your thorough explanation seaccs!!!
it makes much more sense now!!
i have never heard of Section Format until you mentioned it - and have managed to find samples of this on the web. thank you so much!!

so to clarify:
MasterFormat tells us where the specification is located.
Once you arrive to that location of that specification in the "spec book (project manual), it is the Section Format that describe what that spec is about? The 3 parts.
pig

Postby pig » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:03 am

for anyone who may had been as confused as i was on MasterFormat, SectionFormat and MasterSpec, the following article is the clearest thing I have ever read and explained everything about it so clearly:

https://www.constructioncanada.net/stan ... t-and-you/

link pasted here without permission. if this is not appropriate, please delete this post.
pig

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES