4.0 Vignette

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

4.0 Vignette

Postby sshust15 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:52 pm

I cannot get access to the 3.1 Vignette so I am stuck doing the 4.0. What is it from the 3.1 that needs to be remembered for the actual test vignette? I am trying to cover all my bases here so any guidance would be appreciated!

I have also attached my 4.0 vignette. I test in 2 weeks. It seems the biggest issue is not the section itself but getting everything to line up the way it should. Very frustrating and time-consuming. Anyway, I have a few questions pertaining to using the program for the section:

-Should the interior bearing wall go through the slab on grade to the footing or should there be a small foundation wall?
-Should we show the slab on grade as one continuous line through the interior bearing wall or should it stop at the interior bearing and continue on the other side?
-Same question but pertaining to ceiling. Obviously at walls with different ceiling heights it will not continue but with the corridor and room having the same ceiling can it be one continuous line or should it be broken up? (Obviously it would be broken up but for this program and to save time I would like to know)
-Should we extend the joists into the bearing walls a bit or should they align directly?
-Should the non-rated partitions go 6" above the ceiling? Program does not state it but I know it is common practice.
-For the 4.0 vignette, I cannot get the joists in the lab to center exactly on the centerline. It tends to stick to one side or the other. What is the margin of error here?
-Kaplan makes mention of roof slab and floor slab but it is not present in the drawing elements. Does the decking count as these slabs or are we supposed to use something else?

Thanks guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sshust15

Re: 4.0 Vignette

Postby Coach » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:03 pm

sshust15 wrote:I cannot get access to the 3.1 Vignette

Why not? If you're using citrix, download the files and work it out in cad or on paper.

What is it from the 3.1 that needs to be remembered for the actual test vignette?

It's all about using the correct joist-duct combinations.

-Should the interior bearing wall go through the slab on grade to the footing or should there be a small foundation wall?

Either way.

-Should we show the slab on grade as one continuous line through the interior bearing wall

No.

-Same question but pertaining to ceiling. Obviously at walls with different ceiling heights it will not continue but with the corridor and room having the same ceiling can it be one continuous line or should it be broken up?

Break at bearing and rated.

-Should we extend the joists into the bearing walls a bit

Yes. A snap or two.

-Should the non-rated partitions go 6" above the ceiling?

Can't hurt.

-For the 4.0 vignette, I cannot get the joists in the lab to center exactly on the centerline. It tends to stick to one side or the other.

Not unusual.

What is the margin of error here?

The snap.

-Kaplan makes mention of roof slab and floor slab but it is not present in the drawing elements. Does the decking count as these slabs or are we supposed to use something else?

First of all, don't use kaplan for vignettes.
Deck, fill and joists are drawn at the same time.

Rated walls should be drawn to bottom of deck.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES