Ballast Practice Exam Vignette - please review & general Q's

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Ballast Practice Exam Vignette - please review & general Q's

Postby kikstear » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:53 pm

I recently just took the practice exam in the CDS Ballast ARE Sample Problems and Practice Exam Book. However, when I got to the solutions, I found that the solution was rather vague, showing a sketched pass/fail solution and steps needed to get there, but omitting any dimensions etc. I've been struggling getting the plenum depths right, so I was wondering if anyone out there also studying for the building section vignette has encountered this already and would be able to point out any mistakes I've made!

*note: this image had to be resized and became unreadable to make it to the forum, however a direct link for a larger image is here: http://oi68.tinypic.com/14jvosm.jpg

**note: I realize that some of the ducts/ joists look wrong in size... this is because I wanted to practice using the software, but the software didn't have the sizing specified in the ballast example! please refer to the notes added with dimensions for actual sizing!

ALSO, I have a few questions about the building section vignette in general!

-Is it ok to overlap some elements? The Dorf guide says to overlap the joists with the bearing walls, however, I don't want to fail for the building having gaps anywhere else.... Is it ok to very slightly (1-2 snaps) overlap floor slabs with foundations, ceilings with bearing walls and partitions, interior partitions and floor slab, etc? (Obviously since the instructions say that ducts go below joists, there is no overlap there).

- Should I be breaking the ceiling for all partitions? For only bearing walls? Is it necessary at all? Dorf says that we should break the slab at bearing walls, but doesn't mention ceilings. However, I've seen some conflicting info about this on youtube videos and other sources. Also, does this mean the slab does not have to break for any interior partitions?

-In the practice software, is there a way to move things orthagonally? In ortho-mode I am able to draw walls and lines orthagonally, but it doesn't seem to work for moving things? Does it have to be clicked in a certain order to do this, or is this just not a capacity of this program?

- Using the practice software, there doesn't seem to be a save button or anything... Is there a way to save or submit the solution? The "review vignettes" button does not seem to do anything for me.

THANKS!
kikstear

Re: Ballast Practice Exam Vignette - please review & general

Postby KOOTA » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:43 am

can someone reply, all good questions
KOOTA

Re: Ballast Practice Exam Vignette - please review & general

Postby Coach » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:18 am

kikstear wrote:-Is it ok to overlap some elements? The Dorf guide says to overlap the joists with the bearing walls, however, I don't want to fail for the building having gaps anywhere else.... Is it ok to very slightly (1-2 snaps) overlap floor slabs with foundations, ceilings with bearing walls and partitions, interior partitions and floor slab, etc? (Obviously since the instructions say that ducts go below joists, there is no overlap there).

Take joists a snap or two into bearing walls.

- Should I be breaking the ceiling for all partitions? For only bearing walls?

Break at bearing and rated.

Also, does this mean the slab does not have to break for any interior partitions?

Break at all bearing walls.

-In the practice software, is there a way to move things orthagonally?

No.

- Using the practice software, there doesn't seem to be a save button or anything... Is there a way to save or submit the solution? The "review vignettes" button does not seem to do anything for me.

It saves continuously.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES