CDS 4.0 - Pass! 1st Time

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

CDS 4.0 - Pass! 1st Time

Postby frances » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:35 pm

So I have just started taking the ARE exams and passed SD, failed SPD, then a colleague recommended I switch to CDS.
This forum was EXTREMELY helpful is guiding me with what material/books/websites/videos etc... to use for studying.
Everyone has so many different recommendations so I took screen shots and went through one by one.
I studied for about 3 months (which seems long) but mostly 1 or 2 week nights for about and hour then the weekends. I work for myself but do have a full client load, but I have more flexible time when I can study and when I can work so that is helpful.

What I used to study and techniques:
1. Ballast CDS Sample Problems and Practice Exam - I did each exam about 3 times until I was getting 90%. I can't stress this enough but IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND CONCEPTS! Whichever questions I didn't know I would use that as a study point and read material pertaining to that topic. Doing the exam questions repeatedly was key for my studying, but that is what worked for me.
2. Kaplan Practice Exam - did this twice and ending with a good score. Same concept as above and read material on questions I wasn't getting.
3. I printed Jenny's notes on CDS and used it as a reference - it is very important to understand Specifications, Insurance, Fees & Bonding.
4. I have the AHPP and Coach is correct this is an amazing tool. I cannot read it cover to cover but it was always next to me and I would find myself reading through a topic for an exa question that I didn't know and often continuing reading because SO MUCH USEFUL information in this book. I don't think you can pass without this book.
5. Ballast ARE manual is another great book to have for reference but again I am not the type of student to sit and read through every chapter. However for this exam I did have tags on Chapters: 48-51
6. Another important tool and probably what helped me the MOST is the A201 Schiff Harden Lectures. I started by listening to the lecture and following along with my notes. I then recommend reading through the notes on your own, then one more time with the lecture. I was so worried during the exam I didn't concentrate enough on this contract. Of course you must listen to B101 as well. This is KEY!
7. I printed Rich's notes and Caroline's notes but reallyjust had them on hand if needed but barely looked at these.
8. Vignettes: I practiced the NCARB 4.0 about 3 times and got the timing and concept down to about 35-45 min. I can never figure out how to load the 3.1 vignette but I usually draw it by hand and read through the example problem just to retain the information. I also paid for the Nalsa CDS example problem and that was really helpful. They will evaluate your NCARB practice vignette. Practice this to get the time down. I start the drawing portion the last week of my studying which is cutting it close...
9. ArchiFlash is helpful and I also signed up for SpecGuy's ONE Day at a time. It would be the first thing I would look at in the morning.

Always check for the forum for different subject topics. Good Luck EVERYONE! on to PPP yah you know me!
frances

Re: CDS 4.0 - Pass! 1st Time

Postby frances » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:38 pm

I also want to add...
I have worked at firms the last 10 years so that is a bit of an advantage. I heard my results in about 1 week's time.
frances

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES