Advice on CDS retake

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Advice on CDS retake

Postby shaadzaidi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi All,

Need some advice on how to study, or rather re-study in my case, for two topics in particular on the ARE CDS exam. So I took my first ever ARE back in March and failed :( I'm determined to pass this thing and move on to the next one!

I got a Level 3 on Codes and Regulations, a level 2 on Environmental Issues and ones of the rest. Essentially what should I be looking at to brush up on Codes and Regulations and Environmental Issues, I have a copy of the ICC document A117 at work, which I'll use to study, is there something else I should be looking at...what about for environmental issues?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
shaadzaidi

Re: Advice on CDS retake

Postby kblucas » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:01 pm

For Environmental Issues I would recommend understanding the responsibility of each party in relationship to potential hazards on site per the AIA documents. NCARB lists this as part of the description for Environmental Issues on CDS
"1. Hazardous Conditions and Materials: Assess the presence of hazardous materials on the site and in the building during construction and recommend mitigation procedures"
You should also have an understanding of sustainable design principals, I would recommend looking at the study materials available for site planning and design and familiarizing yourself with the general concepts you are required to know for that exam.

As for Codes and Regulations, you should be comfortable with the basic underlying principals behind who is responsible for enforcing the various codes and where and when they are applicable including some general rules relating to occupancy classification, ADA, etc. Honestly, working and doing code reviews has probably be the most useful in this section and I didn't study much for that portion but the practice questions in ballast that relate to Code are a good place for review. If you have the opportunity to do a code review at work (exciting, I know) that could be a good place to gain and apply the code knowledge.

Good luck!
kblucas

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES