CDS Bldg Section Vignette Feedback-detail clarification

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

CDS Bldg Section Vignette Feedback-detail clarification

Postby charlesh » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:22 pm

This is my second attempt at this exam, in which I passed successfully with the exception of the vignette. I practiced using sbyriktct’s vignette tips and studying NCARB’s passing solution. I’ve practiced many vignettes, produced working drawings, yet I need to clarify how to correctly work out some details to pass this vignette.

1. Interior Footing: we are provided with a frost depth, and initially I suspected that this applied to all of them. The exterior footings are required to meet this depth, yet it is not clear where the interior footing should be (i.e. directly below the slab, 6”, etc.). What is the general rule of thumb for the purpose of this exam? (image 1, interior footing condition)
01.jpg

2. Footings, Slab on Grade, Bearing wall (exterior and interior): NCARB’s passing solution shows the exterior bearing walls directly on the footing at grade, whereas the interior bearing wall is directly on the slab. I’ve read forums stating to have all of the bearing walls on the footing. What is the consensus for a passing solution? (image 1, footing conditions)
3. Second floor joist condition: NCARB’s passing solution shows the bearing walls extending from the footing to the parapet, yet I have read forums stating to show the joist extending to the exterior of the bearing wall? (image 2, joist extending to exterior side of bearing walls).
02.jpg

4. Joists and Ductwork: at the section cut line we have ductwork running through the interstitial space. Previous or after this duct (depending on the practice vignette), there are larger ducts that we have to account for. For sizing purposes (and what we would do for an actual building), I have accounted for the largest duct within the run that exists at the section cut line. Is this appropriate? The other options would seem to be to use the duct size at the section cut line, or to use the largest duct that exists on that floor.

I’m hoping to solicit some positive feedback and direction from this post, and that it may be helpful to other test takers as well. Thank you for your help and time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by charlesh on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlesh

Re: CDS Bldg Section Vignette Feedback-detail clarification

Postby Coach » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:54 am

1) Directly below slab.
2) Break slab at bearing walls.
3) I don't know what other forums there are but whoever said that is dead wrong. Take joists a snap or two into walls.
4) I have no idea what you're trying to prove with those irrelevant drawings. Use the largest joist/duct combination.
Read the program and this forum.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: CDS Bldg Section Vignette Feedback-detail clarification

Postby charlesh » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:55 am

Thank you for your clarification Coach. I removed the last drawing to prevent confusion for other test takers-which was intended to show various actual construction conditions.

I provided one final drawing associated with question 2 regarding breaking the slab at the bearing walls. NCARB's passing solution shows what appears to be a continuous slab, however it seems appropriate as you mentioned to break the slab at the footings-which is how NCARB showed it for the exterior bearing walls.

I'm going to break the slab, as shown in the lower detail of this drawing versus a continuous slab-unless you think otherwise?

Thanks
Slab interface-final.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charlesh

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES