Program vs. Programming

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Program vs. Programming

Postby man of 051200 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:10 pm

AIA contract excludes determining the PROGRAM for the client. Doing so is additional services. However, seems as though our activities naturally include PROGRAMMING - i.e. using the required spaces (i.e. program) given to us and coming up with the layout of the building (i.e. programming the space). Is this correct in NCARB'S world or are PROGRAM and PROGRAMMING the same thing?
man of 051200

Re: Program vs. Programming

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Not the same thing. The owner typically provides the PROGRAM IE: how much space they are thinking may be needed for different uses. For our projects, the client normally hands you a paper that is a list of spaces they want with approximate square footages they are thinking of, so it just says "OFFICES - 1000 SF, BATHROOM - 200 SF", etc., You start with that to start PROGRAMMING the space ie: use the numbers on the piece of paper to actually layout the spaces.

Maybe others have had different experiences with this part of design?
corbismyhomeboy

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Under B101 Section 4.1 "Programming" is an additional service. If the owner doesn't give you the program and you have to hold his hand and help him figure it out, you should get paid for it. I'm not sure what you mean by 2 different programmings/programs. That's the only 1 i know of...
vrcat25

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 pm

My understanding that sometimes the phase of Programming is only if the owner doesn't already have a program. That's why "programming" is an additional service. If the owner give you all of the S.F. requirements of the "program" and all of the rooms, the next phase would be schematic design...It also says in Kaplan "architectural programming services can can be provided by the architect as part of his basic services, but in most cases, it is considered to be a separate service"...

"programming" is what happens if the owner does not have a "program" to provide to the architect. From my experience at the firm i work for, we give this service away all time because the owner doesn't have a solid program.
vrcat25

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:13 am

vrcat25 wrote:My understanding that sometimes the phase of Programming is only if the owner doesn't already have a program. That's why "programming" is an additional service. If the owner give you all of the S.F. requirements of the "program" and all of the rooms, the next phase would be schematic design...It also says in Kaplan "architectural programming services can can be provided by the architect as part of his basic services, but in most cases, it is considered to be a separate service"...

Ignore my previous post, because Vrcat has it!
corbismyhomeboy

Postby man of 051200 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Thank you both for your thoughts. I struggled with this one too and prior to seeing your responses, I completed a post to DesignerHacks after incorrectly completing the question on his CDS quiz. He informed:

According to the AIA Architect's Handbook of Professional Practice:

"Architectural programming is often described as 'problem seeking.' It is the essential preliminary step that informs the subsequent design process. For design to be successful, the design problem must be clearly defined. Only by understanding what the problem is can an effective solution be developed. As a result, thoroughly defining the project- fully seeking the problem - is imperative... It is important to keep in mind that, while programming involves design thinking, it is not design per se. Programming is intended to define the problem rather than propose a solution."

The handbook goes on to define 6 steps in programming: research the project type, identify goals, gather data, analyze information, identify programmatic strategies, and establish quantitative requirements.

In practice, it's common to see programming to turn into an initial design than just the presenting of a problem. Note that's not the intent of the AIA or how the test defines it. It is intended to be a pre-design exercise that is abstract and comprehensive but not design.

Thought I would share that I agree with vrcat...and that you both may appreciate me affirming your deductions.

Thank you for both for your time and insight!
man of 051200

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES