Vignette Questions After Fail

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette Questions After Fail

Postby Raja » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:56 pm

I failed CDs first round because I failed the vignette...which I think was due to not practicing it enough because I ran out of time. Also realized I drew a rated wall where there was a non-rated partition wall. I've been practicing more and have a couple questions:

1. If there is a 1-hr non-bearing wall in the same location on each floor, is it correct to draw them separately on each level, stopping at the bottom of deck or are they supposed to be drawn as one continuous wall (which seems counterintuitive since non-bearing but....)?

2. When finding deepest joist + duct combos on a floor:

Is it the joist + duct combo in one particular area (ie deepest duct + deepest joist in one room)?
OR
Is it joist + duct combo of entire floor being drawn (ie deepest joist ANYWHERE @ 1st flr ceiling + deepest duct ANYWHERE @ 1st flr ceiling?
Raja

Re: Vignette Questions After Fail

Postby Coach » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:36 am

1) Break at deck.
2) Largest co-located combo on the floor in the area having the same clg ht.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Raja » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Awesome. Thank you!
Raja

Re: Vignette Questions After Fail ***NALSA Practice Vignette

Postby Raja » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:51 pm

NALSA Practice Vignette #1:

Has anyone done this paper vignette? I am more unclear now on joist/duct combo due to their solution.

On the 1st floor, NALSA uses the largest joist (28")/duct combo in the Elevator Lobby, but down the hall in the adjacent room (not the 2-story Lobby space, still just the 1st floor area) there is a 36" joist. I used largest duct and joist in all first floor area, meaning I used 36" joist.

Coach, or anyone else, can you please confirm I am understanding correctly, it is largest duct/joist in all of one floor area?
Meaning, is the NALSA practice test incorrect with the shallower joist combo that does not include the adjacent 1-story room in the main 1-story room?
Raja

Postby Coach » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:47 pm

I haven't seen their problem.
Do all the 1-story spaces have the same clg ht?
Does the smaller joist have a larger duct above it?

You use the largest co-located pair. For example, if the 28" joist has a 22" duct above it, and the 36" joist has a 12" duct, then you use the 28" joist combo (50"), not the 36" joist (48").
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Raja » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Coach wrote:I haven't seen their problem.
Do all the 1-story spaces have the same clg ht?
Does the smaller joist have a larger duct above it?

You use the largest co-located pair. For example, if the 28" joist has a 22" duct above it, and the 36" joist has a 12" duct, then you use the 28" joist combo (50"), not the 36" joist (48").

Ah that helps. Also I just saw an old post you responded to from 2014, where Smew made some diagrams in a pdf illustrating this. I see now it is adding up the joist depth and the duct depth in the same structural bay, where they are yes, co-located, not the largest joist and the largest duct anywhere on that floor.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Raja

Postby Raja » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Smew's diagrams.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raja

Postby AREator » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:44 am

Where can one even view the Dorf CDs vignette video now?
Only Dorf/SPD is on youTube.

Dorf is the hole in my prep...
AREator

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES