CDS Vignette Practice (1 of 5)-ARE 4.0, Second Attempt

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

CDS Vignette Practice (1 of 5)-ARE 4.0, Second Attempt

Postby charlesh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:16 am

Unfortunately I did not pass the vignette section of CDS the first time, so I have focused on this and would appreciate any feedback. I initially practiced 5 vignettes, in which I thought I would seek feedback...and I still have a couple more to practice before the exam. I initially watched the DORF video, took notes and used that approach. It is a good approach, however I found that sbyrktct's Vignette tips/methodology to work the best, which is:
1. slab on grade... bottom of slab at grade level not top of slab at grade level
2. bring foundation wall up to t.o. slab
3. put bearing walls on foundations, not on slab
4. t.o. footing at frost depth (***I consulted with others on this forum, and went with B.O. Footers at Frost -- and passed)
5. interior bearing wall set on foundation wall, but footing is directly below slab
6. interior non-rated partitions extend 6" above finished ceiling
7. interior rated partitions go from t.o. slab to b.o. floor deck and t.o. floor deck to b.o. roof deck
8. break finished ceiling at each partition/bearing wall
9. joists/deck extend 4" into bearing walls
10. plenum depth = 8" (for lighting) + largest joist/duct combo found in that ceiling

*In general, I found these easiest to do by importing backgrounds into CAD and drafting on top of them. I didn't use the right lineweights, rather the same colors that NCARB used so that things will seem familiar when I sit for the exam. Please don't give me feedback on lineweights! :)

Vignette 1: This looks like an older vignette, which added more complexity than what I hope we can expect on the exam-particularly the grade differences. FYI, windows won't be included on the actual...but good practice. I had to do this one twice to get the grading correct. If anything looks incorrect, feedback is welcome!

Please see other vignettes for providing feedback, if you feel inclined. Thanks again!
Last edited by Coach on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Copyrighted material delete
charlesh

Re: CDS Vignette Practice (1 of 5)-ARE 4.0, Second Attempt

Postby charlesh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:20 am

I'm replying to this same thread in order to keep the content together and alleviate rewriting background info.

Vignette 2: This one was a little bit tricky with varying ceiling heights, joists extending between fire-rated walls, and another grade change (like Vignette 1). It seems a little bit more challenging than NCARB's version, nonetheless I'm trying to prepare for the worst. Again-any feedback is welcome!

03.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Coach on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlesh

Postby charlesh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:30 am

Vignette 3: This one is a little more straight forward than the previous 2, and seems to be more in line with NCARB's practice problem. Note: I didn't draw all of the cross members of the joists-I don't need feedback on that part. Thanks! :)

03.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charlesh

Postby charlesh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:40 am

Vignette 4: This one was one of the more tricky vignettes, outside of unusual grading challenges previously mentioned. This program has a couple curve balls: (1) Duct sizes: I've read and learned that I should use the largest size duct along a run for the sizing. In practice, this makes sense-as architects we need to provide clearance for the largest duct size. However, the solution for this problem showed the duct size at the section cut line, and sized the ceiling clearance accordingly. What is the consensus for duct sizing along a run??? (2) This program stated that the lobby was fire-rated, however there was no mention of the corridor. I did not provide a fire-rated wall, rather a typical interior partition. This was considered wrong in conjunction with the passing solution? In practice, corridors that provide an egress path to an exit should be rated. Is that the mindset we should have if provided ambiguous information regarding fire-rated walls? Feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by Coach on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlesh

Postby charlesh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:44 am

Vignette 5: The NCARB problem. This one is straight forward. Again, any feedback is appreciated!
001.jpg

002.jpg
charlesh

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES