Life of a Project - Great visual map-type study resource

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Life of a Project - Great visual map-type study resource

Postby chandrab » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:35 pm

I found this map great map online for an overall map of the life of a project. Maybe it's someplace on this forum already but I'm posting it. The CSI Masterformat Divisions on it are now obsolete but everything else seemed to be in line with Ballast etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chandrab

Re: Life of a Project - Great visual map-type study resource

Postby gjoseph2085 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:07 am

wow..this is great, thank you for sharing.
gjoseph2085

Postby seaccs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:16 pm

I've seen this passed around many times but this is the first time I've actually taken the time to scrutinize it. I'd caution anyone to be careful using this as a resource. Aside from the numerous typos, there is also plenty of information that is just wrong.

For example, the end of project portion, from before substantial completion through to the "end" of a project at 1 year post completion, could use some heavy reworking to make it accurate. First of all, 1 year post completion should be measured from substantial completion, not final payment (I have no idea why 1 year post final payment should matter). They are confusing warranties and guarantees (they are not the same and the terms should not be used interchangeably). They are confusing the contractor's correctional period (notice I didn't say warranty) with a contractor's warranty or guarantee. Project closeout procedures (submission of record documents, startup and testing, etc. are definitely contractual even if they are administrative) are generally done at substantial completion, definitely not at the time of final payment as shown.

But wait there is more ...
  • No mention of Owner's right to terminate, or suspend, the contract for convenience ... only for cause.
  • Mixed up the term constructability with contractability.
  • Outdated references to AIA docs and CSI formats.
  • Description of proposal request is completely wrong and makes it look like the architect can unilaterally make a change if the owner doesn't respond promptly.
  • Addendums ... just no. Plural of Addendum is Addenda.
  • No discussion of facility management after 1 year post completion. What happens if it is discovered three years later that something wasn't constructed in accordance with the contract?
  • And many more that I just don't have the time to go through in detail ...

In short, this looks impressive, but be careful ... don't take it as gospel.
seaccs

Postby Mf10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 am

I agree with seaccs,

If you are studying for the Con Docs test, I would not recommend you use this image as reference.
It would be great if someone went through and updated/created their own with corrections for a graphical representation of a project.
Mf10

Postby Raja » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:32 am

For us visual types this thing is really helpful for getting an overview of the whole process and how things are related, but it does need an overhaul for accuracy. I used this back in the early aughts when I took (and passed) CDs, but that was ncarb 3.1
Raja

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES