1 week before retake - Need a study critique

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

1 week before retake - Need a study critique

Postby arearcher » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:18 pm

My Exam is next Saturday. I don't feel confident yet and could use some advice about what you think the best use of my time would be. I'm really struggling to retain information about: Masterformat Divisions 0 and 1, General Requirements, and Supplementary Conditions. Most of the questions I'm getting wrong on the practice tests are about this or what if scenarios about who has to pay for something.

So far I've reviewed:

•the recommended Ballast sections
•Chapter 9 in AHPP (14th). It took significantly longer then I expected to read this. Originally I intended to read all 500 pages. I don't think I have the time anymore.
•NCARB Code of Conduct
•Schiff Harden lectures. I feel like re-reading the contracts would have been a better use of time.
•All the contracts in the CDs Exam Guide at least once
•Archiflash cards daily
•Taken both Ballast practice tests, scoring in the 60s each time.
•NCARB practice test, scored 77%.
•Kaplan practice test, scored 75%.
•Kaplan quizzes ranged from low of 49% to high of 100%. Mean was 75%. Reading chapters I scored below 80%.

I'm spending the next week doing the vignettes, practicing how to draw the solution on top of the plan. What has worked well for me on other exams is going through Jenny's notes for an explanation of the process then condensing it. I've also found the NCARB intro video to each vignette helpful.
arearcher

Re: 1 week before retake - Need a study critique

Postby arearcher » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Well....had my retake on Saturday. Based on past tests I'll probably find out by the end of this week.

I have no idea whether I passed. It felt like the majority of questions left me making best guesses rather than knowing the right answer. This surprised me. I was scoring between 83-88% on the Kaplan, Ballast, and NCARB tests I retook one and two days before the exam. Any questions I got wrong were made into flashcards. I read Caroline's notes and the NCARB guide as a check to see if I didn't study any material. I had my stack of Archiflash cards memorized. I posted the practice vignettes and was grateful for the feedback.

I'm not sure what to change if I fail this one a second time. I've passed SD, SPD, PPP, and BDCS. The first time I took it I got a level 2 in codes and regulations, level 3 in Project & Practice Management, and level 3 in the vignette.
arearcher

Postby thd7t » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:53 am

It sounds like you were fully prepared. Take a breath. The way the exams are laid out, sometimes it feels like best guesses, even when you know the answer. If you don't pass, one technique that I used on this exam was to take practice questions that I got wrong and determine their category instead of making flashcards. Then, I would review that material. However, it really looks like you were prepared and I think you will pass.
thd7t

Postby arearcher » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:48 am

Passed! @&$* yeah!
arearcher

Postby thd7t » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:26 am

Way to go!
thd7t

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES