Contradiction in AIA B101?

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Contradiction in AIA B101?

Postby kmarie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:28 am

It seems to me that paragraph 3.5. considers the Architect's participation in the preparation of bid documents and the selection of the successful bidder part of the standard services. See 3.5.1. (3) specifically.
Then you continue reading and find the evaluation of bidder qualifications an additional service in 4.3.1 (.9). I would think that determining who is the successful bidder would require the evaluation of the bidder's qualifications...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
kmarie

Re: Contradiction in AIA B101?

Postby Mountain Meg » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Here is my take. Others feel free to chime in as I am not certain that this is correct.

In 3.5 the contract says the architect will "assist" the owner in determining the successful bid and awarding and preparing contracts for construction. To me this would mean the architect bases the successful bid only on the amounts received in the bids submitted and this would not include exhaustive research on the bidders' qualifications.

4.3.1 says "evaluation" of the qualifications of bidders. This would be more intensive than simply "assisting" the owner based on the numbers received in the bids. I would think this would include the review of A305 forms, or the Contractor's Qualification Statement.

I would be interested to see if anyone has a different take on this.
Mountain Meg

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES