Finding Ballast Pratice Exam 2010 confusing and #16

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Finding Ballast Pratice Exam 2010 confusing and #16

Postby joyjay326 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:49 am

Hi all.

I've scored on Ballast only 52% and find a lot of questions confusing (also know that there are a lot of out dated questions, for instance, project management protective liability which has been taken out from A201)

Anyone feel the same? or it's just me looking for excuses

And anyone who would help me answer this question i would really appreciate!
#16 see attachment - answer is Contractor - But the soil report made a mistake, i dont understand why is it still the contractor who is responsible?

thanks!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joyjay326

Re: Finding Ballast Pratice Exam 2010 confusing and #16

Postby lali » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:40 am

I agree with you. Per AIA A201 - 3.7.4 The cost of the extra work should be assumed by the OWNER.
lali

Postby seaccs » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:19 am

They key to the correct answer is in the wording of the question. It states that this is an area with many pockets of unstable shrink/swell soil. A201 3.7.4 states that the Owner would bear the costs if the unknown conditions were of an unusual nature that differ materially from those ordinarily found to exist. Because it is generally known that there are many pockets of unstable soil and the contractor is aware of that, uncovering a pocket that isn't in the geotech report is not unusual for this site. The geotechnical engineer cannot be expected to find every pocket of unstable soil on the site and make note of it in the report.
seaccs

Postby lali » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:32 am

Thank you seaccs!
If something like that happens. Shouldn't the contractor report the findings and get paid by the owner for the extra work?
Thanks!!!

L
lali

Postby pig » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:25 pm

i think seaccs is saying that, because it is expected within the soil type that there should be unexpected pockets, the contractor should have understood that this is the general condition of the site and that is part of the works with the bid. it is impossible for any soil report in includes all existing conditions. it is a general survey of what is at the site and always, as we know, reality and report have discrepancies. please correct me if i am mis-interpreting your comment seaccs....
pig

Postby joyjay326 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:37 am

Thank you Seaccs

yeah i think it might be the "materially different" in A201 that decides if owner covers the payment. I guess in this case unstable soil is expected and informed even though it's not indicated precisely

- honestly it doesnt make much sense to me - shouldnt it be geotechnical engineer's job to indicate the site condition? but i guess from the exam point of view this is the right answer.

thank you all
joyjay326

Postby kikstear » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:29 pm

The explanations above do make sense to a degree, but the AIA201 also says that the contractor is supposed to visit the site and become "generally" acquainted with site conditions etc. and not responsible to account for specifics. And since we don't actually know how big the area unidentified is, it could make a substantial difference in the bid? Which makes me wonder if the "3 weeks into excavation" is also key here?
If the contractor is 3 weeks into excavation one would think he's aware of the nature of the soil and that the geotechnical report may have excluded some areas. 3 weeks = 21 days. If the contractor does not make a claim in 21 days, (s)he forfeits the right to make such a claim.
Correct me if I'm wrong/ thinking too much into this, but I also did poorly on the Ballast practice exam and have since been trying to break down every question to derive the right answer and explanation!
kikstear

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES