Project Delivery - Design-Build - COACH HELP!

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Project Delivery - Design-Build - COACH HELP!

Postby falves » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:19 am

Gang Chen Question #55 Which of the following project delivery methods works best for a complicated airport project that needs to continue operating during construction?
a. BIM
b. Design-Bid-Build
c.Construction Administration
d. Construction Management
e. Design-Build

It's obvious a. and c. are out bc its not a delivery method but why is design-build the best solution? the book refers back to AHPP, but I did not see an obvious answer in the book. Thanks!
falves

Re: Project Delivery - Design-Build - COACH HELP!

Postby dkismet » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:54 pm

AHPP says project complexity is probably the driving factor for consolidating responsibility. Given that all we really know about the project is that it's 'complex', I'm guessing that is how Chen justifies his answer. Poorly written question IMO
dkismet

Postby lali » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:55 am

The design build is the simplest of the common delivery methods. See http://miron-construction.com/enewslett ... ey-differ/ they explain in a simple way the pros and cons of each method. I think we should write down this info.

design-build is simpler because the design and the construction are provided by the same entity, so, the process is less complicated, things get resolved quicker.

The question does not give very much information, so, in this case, we have to pick the simplest method (design-build)... even though in real life there is a lot more factors to consider and the answer may be different. We can just base our answer in the limited info given.

I hope that helps.
lali
lali

Postby matt » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:21 pm

I am thinking it would be D because the construction manager would be involved solely in coordination of the construction of the project. That would include scheduling around the continuous workings of an airport
matt

Postby introversed » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Agreed with Matt. A and C are not project delivery methods at all, so they're out.

Because the project is happening inside an operating airport, my guess is that the work will need to be done in phases, with additional field coordination being helpful. So while Design Bid Build and Design Build are options, CM is a better answer.
introversed

Postby hnQ_9999 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 am

introversed wrote:...So while Design Bid Build and Design Build are options, CM is a better answer....

I agree, CM is better
hnQ_9999

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES