Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB vignette - 2nd attempt

Postby Hulk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:23 am

Here we go...2nd try. Here are my clearance calcs:
1st floor: 8'-4" clg., 8" space for lights, 24" for ducts
2nd floor: 9'-0" clg., 8" space for lights, 20" for ducts
lab: 15'-0" clg., 8" space for lights, 20" for ducts

A few comments/questions:
-I broke the slab on grade at the bearing walls.
-I broke the ceiling at the interior rated wall and partition wall. Is this right? Do I break the joists at the int. rated wall? I'm second guessing myself about everything now.
-Int. rated wall extends from top of 1st floor slab to underside of 2nd fl. slab, then from top of 2nd fl. slab to underside of roof slab. Correct?
Joists are embedded 2"-4" into the bearing walls.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
CD vig.2-.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hulk

Re: NCARB vignette - 2nd attempt

Postby Mountain Meg » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:56 am

This looks good to me. I believe you are correct about the interior rated walls. I have read on the forum that you can break the ceiling at only the rated walls or all of the walls just to be safe.
Mountain Meg

Postby Hulk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Thanks, Mountain Meg! I test tomorrow so I'm getting in some last minute practice tonight.
Hulk

Postby ampdesign » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Hulk wrote:Here we go...2nd try. Here are my clearance calcs:
1st floor: 8'-4" clg., 8" space for lights, 24" for ducts
2nd floor: 9'-0" clg., 8" space for lights, 20" for ducts
lab: 15'-0" clg., 8" space for lights, 20" for ducts

A few comments/questions:
-I broke the slab on grade at the bearing walls.
-I broke the ceiling at the interior rated wall and partition wall. Is this right? Do I break the joists at the int. rated wall? I'm second guessing myself about everything now.
-Int. rated wall extends from top of 1st floor slab to underside of 2nd fl. slab, then from top of 2nd fl. slab to underside of roof slab. Correct?
Joists are embedded 2"-4" into the bearing walls.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
CD vig.2-.pdf

Actually I think that on the first floor the largest duct in that framing bay is 20" deep so 28" clear is needed. Same applies for the lab and the second floor. I know about second guessing the night before and sorry if I add more fuel to the fire. I'm testing Friday so I am experiencing the same. Thought I had this all dialed in but having some questions.
ampdesign

Postby arentwestudying » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:13 pm

I just posted about this NCARB vignette with a general question that seems to have come up here... The ducts space for the LAB. Hopefully I can find the coorect answer soon.
As for the interior rated partitions, I think about it like if wyou were building. If you have your joists/floor, especially with these conc. floors, you wouldn't run the wall from the first floor and interrupt the second floor. Thus, breaking your rated wall would be the way to go. You don't need to break the ceiling at a non rated interior partition. I know you've already taken the test but perhpas this will help others.
Hope you did swell!!!
arentwestudying

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES