Vignette Questions

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette Questions

Postby JTArch07 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:17 am

My first test is tomorrow and I am doing some final reviewing today! I have 2 quick questions on the vignette, I'm hoping someone can help me!

1. In my study guide (I'm using the ARE Review Manual by PPI) it states "Draw the grade line completely across the section, and make sure it is in the correct position relative to the first floor elevation as shown on the first floor plan." Does it matter where the grade line goes? I do not see an elevation on the practice vignette and want to be sure I don't fail because I put the grade line in the wrong place.

2. Does it matter where exactly the ducts are placed within the plenum.

What I mean by this is: say the duct is 8x8 but the largest duct is 12x24...
Should the bottom of it be 8" off the ceiling (for the light fixtures) with open space (16") between the duct and joist?
Should the top of the duct be directly under the joists with more than 8" for light fixtures (16")?
Should the 8x8 be centered on this 24" space?
Does it not matter, as long as you have the correct depth, the duct is aligned in the proper section and your clearances are there?

Hope this makes sense! Thank you!!
JTArch07

Re: Vignette Questions

Postby Sarah be » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:41 am

I've got a definite answer for #2, found in coach's Nov. 12th reply to a similar question: "Ducts may be anywhere between light space and bottom of joist." Check it out. Hope this helps.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3148&p=9291#p9291
Sarah be

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES