NCARB Vignette 1st pass, plus a few questions. Please review

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB Vignette 1st pass, plus a few questions. Please review

Postby Pow_Arch » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Attached is my first pass at the NCARB vignette. Please tell me what I have missed.
CDS NCARB 1.jpg

Few questions related:

How far should a non fire rated wall go beyond the ceiling? I drew mine at 6 inches

If on the exam joist sizes vary throughout one floor and the cut line is through a smaller one, do we need to actually account for the largest joist that might be located in another space?
Could this even happen??? .......

I.e. 32x 24 duct, 32 would ALWAYS be the width?

I drew my slabs into the wall a few clicks away. Is that ok?

I am not going to ask about the frost line and the footing....it appears there is no rule. I drew mine as: top of footing @ frostline.
Same with slab on grade, drew mine between the exterior walls, not under then. Interior bearing wall simply rest on the footing and the wall slab goes through it. I read that is acceptable as well.

THANK YOU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pow_Arch

Re: NCARB Vignette 1st pass, plus a few questions. Please re

Postby Architard » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:04 am

It looks like your center footing is too deep. Interior footings don't need to go down to frost depth, only exterior walls.

In the 32x24, the first number is the width, the second is the depth.

Not sure on the slabs. I've seen/heard that the joists can go a few clicks into the bearing wall, but ended up keeping my slab right at the edge of the bearing wall.

Again, I think the non-fire rated walls can be an either/or scenario. Up to the ceiling line, or 6" above. I've always shown mine at 6" above.
Architard

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES