Bidding docs a part of CDs. Yes or no?

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Bidding docs a part of CDs. Yes or no?

Postby dancan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:40 pm

So, I'm studying using the Ballast review Manual and supplementing with the ARCHIFLASH cards and I seemingly came across a contradiction.

Ballast says:
"In addition to the bidding documents, which are not part of the contract documents, the bidding package also includes the drawings, specifications, general and supplementary conditions of the contract, special conditions (if any), addenda issued prior to the receipt of bids, and the form ofagreement between owner and contractor. "

ARCHIFLASH asks:
"Which of the following is included in the Construction Documents?"
I. Bidding Documents
II. Contract a forms, conditions, modifications
III. Drawings and specifications
IV. Addendum

Correct answer: D. All

The difference seems to be in the wording, contract documents vs. construction documents. Are these not the same? Perhaps Ballast considers "Construction Documents" as "Working Drawings" or pictorial representations (Schiff Hardin's definition).

Any thoughts?
dancan

Re: Bidding docs a part of CDs. Yes or no?

Postby Pow_Arch » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Contract Documents - do NOT include Bidding Docs
Construction Documents - DO include Bidding Documents
See the graphic I have put together to help me understand the differences.
CDS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pow_Arch

Postby dancan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Hey! This is quite handy. Thanks for sharing, Pow_arch!

I have a couple questions concerning the diagram;
1. Shouldn't the specifications include all 50 divisions? In our office, we only prepare 1-16 or so but we include our MEP consultant's specs either in the same volume or a separate one.
2. Concerning modifications, don't those modify the project manual and therefore become included in the project manual?

I'm not challenging your diagram, quite the contrary, I am expecting you or someone else to chime-in and explain some detail that discredits my questions..Just as you did with my initial question concerning construction and contract documents :) .

Thanks again for the reply!
dancan

Postby Kurt999 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:57 pm

That is a nice diagram. Maybe I can finally sort this out...
Kurt999

Postby Coach » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Coach
Site Admin

Postby dancan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Phew, Thanks Coach! I am testing tomorrow and I pretty much committed the wrong diagram to memory. AHPP definitely shows that Construction Documents only incorporates Specifications and Drawings.

ArchiFlash (NALSA 2009) users should take note of the attached diagram as there is a card within the set which has the wrong diagram showing CDs encompassing all categories.

I'm so glad you posted this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dancan

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES