AIA docs, Division #s, Arch. History, how much to memorize?

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

AIA docs, Division #s, Arch. History, how much to memorize?

Postby dancan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:31 am

As I review the AIA documents, I am wondering to what degree people (especially those who have passed) are memorizing the article numbers. For instance, do questions on the test ask about the provisions in the contracts and general conditions or will we be expected to call out the article numbers in which they appear?

Same goes for spec division numbers. Can we expect questions like, in which division do windows appear?

I've seen very few people who post their passing strategies mention studying/reviewing architectural history. Ballast suggests doing so for any section with MC questions. Is this a waste of time for someone who last had an architectural history course 7 years ago?

I've also seen very little posted concerning ADA and building codes. Should I focus my energy elsewhere?
dancan

Re: AIA docs, Division #s, Arch. History, how much to memori

Postby Pow_Arch » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:44 pm

I had no history questions on my exam and although NCARB might throw in a few, you will never be able to cover all the extensive history that they might quiz you on.
If you feel you have a good general knowledge of arch. history , i.e. a pagoda originated in Asia, or if you know the difference between the Parthenon and Pantheon, you should be just fine.
Better to brush up on ADA and general codes. It is a small but critical section of the exam.
Pow_Arch

Postby dancan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks for the reply. - dancan
dancan

Postby Bonddevil » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:24 am

If I was to make a list of 'least likely to be asked' question types on the ARE, questions asking you about particular article numbers in the contracts would be at the very top. That's an absurd thing to expect you to know and completely useless.

Some questions may reference a specific contract or document, but never ever a particular clause by number that you would need to memorize. Understand what the language means and how to apply the ideas, but do not memorize anything.
Bonddevil

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES