NCARB 4.0 vignette with questions

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB 4.0 vignette with questions

Postby detail4 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Please review my solution and provide any feedback.

A few specific questions

1)I need some assistance clarifying the requirements for interior bearing wall and how they interface with foundation and slab. Do you have any input on this? I have attached 2 jpegs showing enlarged views of the NCARB solution at interior bearing wall. The NCARB solution appears to show the footing at interior condition extending to finish floor, but the slab going through. I guess the slab passing through footing is acceptable?!

2)Do exterior bearing walls have to extend to top of foundation or can you just stop wall at slab since slab bears on foundation? NCARB sample solution is showing exterior wall extended to top of footing, but DORF Solutions book Sample Vignette 2 solution shows footing extending to top of finish floor. I assume that to be safe that going with NCARB sample is best.

3)Ceiling interface with interior partition walls. Do I have to break the ceiling at the partition or can I show it go straight through?

Any feedback appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
detail4

Re: NCARB 4.0 vignette with questions

Postby detail4 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Solution was pretty small. See attached pdf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
detail4

Re: NCARB 4.0 vignette with questions

Postby Coach » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:21 pm

detail4 wrote:1)I need some assistance clarifying the requirements for interior bearing wall and how they interface with foundation and slab. Do you have any input on this? I have attached 2 jpegs showing enlarged views of the NCARB solution at interior bearing wall. The NCARB solution appears to show the footing at interior condition extending to finish floor, but the slab going through. I guess the slab passing through footing is acceptable?!

Slab should stop at bearing walls.

2)Do exterior bearing walls have to extend to top of foundation or can you just stop wall at slab since slab bears on foundation? NCARB sample solution is showing exterior wall extended to top of footing, but DORF Solutions book Sample Vignette 2 solution shows footing extending to top of finish floor. I assume that to be safe that going with NCARB sample is best.

Same thing. Walls should bear on foundation, not slab.

3)Ceiling interface with interior partition walls. Do I have to break the ceiling at the partition or can I show it go straight through?
Break ceiling at rated partitions and bearing walls.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES