How long to study for CDS?

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

How long to study for CDS?

Postby Architeer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:52 am

I've passed PPP, SD, and hopefully SS (took yesterday).
I can't take SPD until the end of December since I failed it in July (damn vignette).

Do you think 3 weeks is enough time to study and pass CDS? I've had a little bit of it in the PPP prep this past May and a touch of it in my first SPD attempt.

Any hot study guides?

I have Kaplan, Ballast, Dorf, Archiflash, Kaplan questions

Thanks
Architeer

Re: How long to study for CDS?

Postby light360 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:10 am

I think 3 weeks of study is enough if you stay focus. I my self will be studying for 5 weeks total. I wanted to study 3 weeks only but I decide to extend it alit bit more reason for that was exam date. The exam week or date I was hoping for was not available so I did have to extend my study time. Hey you should also read the AIA contract, NCARB rules of conduct, and Hardin Schiff lectures all these are also great resources for the exams. Also ADA,historic presevartion. and graphic standards. Good Luck.
light360

Postby arquitetando » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:24 am

Have you seen the following post?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2855

I have a busy life and I cannot study anytime I want, so three weeks does not work for me... but in the end of the day, you need to decide the amount of risk you want to take. I've seen people studying as long as three months and as little as "nothing" just to give it a shot.
arquitetando

Postby chedin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:33 am

Hi Architeer,

I spent about 3 weeks studying for this test and passed, it was stressful but definitely possible. Those Schiff Hardin lectures are invaluable for the test. To add to what others have said, I hit "hot" topics in a couple of the CSI manuals http://www.csinet.org/Main-Menu-Category/CSI-Store/15 and listened to a couple of webinars from the AIA site. Don't forget that NCARB allows you to download samples of the contract documents to review, and the AIA has a nice set of commentaries on what everything in the contracts mean! Anything I ran across that I didn't feel confident with, I did a few minutes of additional research on the web to round out the topic.
There were some planning questions also and a decent amount of code questions. Every test so far (5 in all) have hit heavily on ADA requirements.
There were a number of questions on my exam related to project delivery, insurance/bond requirements, phasing of a project, and specifications. AHPP is invaluable! Also, as others have said in other forums, make sure you review the materials NCARB suggests:
AHPP (Architects Handbook of Professional Practice - Coach has this listed on his references page http://astore.amazon.com/calarcce-20)
Architectural Graphic Standards
Building Construction Illustrated
CSI Manual of Practice
Rules of Conduct

Good luck!
chedin

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES