Bid Documents vs Construction Documents

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Bid Documents vs Construction Documents

Postby michombre » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Is there a difference between these two? I was always under the impression that they are interchangeable terms for drawings going to bid.
michombre

Re: Bid Documents vs Construction Documents

Postby Vitruvius » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:02 am

Yes there is, and be careful in using them interchangeably.

As I understand it, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, Bid Documents (or bid set) could easily come (be produced) before Construction Documents. They would contain most information enough for the GC to put a number on things so that the client/owner gets a ballpark # as to $$$... but BD don't necessarily have ALL the details and minutiae (shop drawings, part plans etc.) required to permit or build "the thing".

On the other hand, the term Construction Documents (at least the way it's understood at my office), is used generally for the set of plans for a job, but it ultimately means the set of permit plans being used out in the field. The distinction seems to become evident usually only when the discrepancies in cost $$$ arise. We always leave the door open upon a job being awarded so that GC goes back and reviews a set as permitted. Usually the differences aren't too great, but there have been revisions forced by municipalities that impact the cost considerably. In that case, it is only fair for the GC/owner to be aware and adjust accordingly prior to continuing.

When discrepancies arise, the conversations usually go something like this:

GC: "Hey, I didn't quote no new 6" lateral connection! It's not on my plans."
Arch: "Are you looking at the Job Set (the permit set CD)."
GC: "No. I'm looking at the plans I quoted from." (Bid set)
Arch: "Ah, OK. Look at the permit set, they will supersede your plans. In order to obtain a permit we HAD to change the lateral from 'reuse existing 4in. lateral' to 'new 6in. lateral because city doesn't want 4in. laterals in this area anymore, following Ord-45.x.x.x etc." (true story)
-GC apologizes and bows out... bid set gets addendum/adjusted accordingly.

Can someone let me know if the distinction is more egregious than that? Thanks
Last edited by Vitruvius on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vitruvius

Postby Vitruvius » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:04 am

I just noticed how calm and rational the architects sound... lol ;)
Vitruvius

Postby Coach » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:43 pm

The answer in in the AHPP.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Hartacus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:30 pm

I was a little confuse on this myself.
The construction documents include bidding requirements, contract forms, conditions of contract, specifications, drawings, addenda, contract modifications.

From the book i'm reading the bid documents include everything the construction documents include except the CONTRACT MODIFICATIONS.
The contract documents include everything but the bidding requirements.
Hartacus

Postby kstars04 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Hope this helps, here is a link to explain the documents, was having trouble uploading it to the forum - http://tinypic.com/r/28s2b1z/5
kstars04

Postby Vitruvius » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 am

kstars04 wrote:Hope this helps, here is a link to explain the documents, was having trouble uploading it to the forum - http://tinypic.com/r/28s2b1z/5

Perfect! Thanks for posting this it is very helpful.
Vitruvius

Postby Coach » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:00 pm

The link posted is incomplete. Always use the AHPP for this type of issue.
http://books.google.com/books?id=L_CeEn ... on&f=false
Coach
Site Admin

Postby LICall » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 pm

There is a “big” difference.

The Construction Documents are only Specifications & Drawings. And they are part of the BID DOCUMENTS.

THE BID DOCUMENTS include:
Bidding requirements:
- Invitation to bid
- Instructions to bidders
- Information available to bidders
- Bid forms and attachments
- Bid security form

Contract forms:
- Agreement
- Performance Bond
- Payment Bond
- Certificates

Contract Conditions:
- General conditions
- Supplementary conditions

Specifications:
- Divisions from Division 1 through Division 49

Drawings:
- Working drawings

Addenda:
- All addendas that have done in the process of bid and are stacking over and over,(clarifications, additions, deletions, corrections, etc. )

Please see the attachment It was copy from AHPP Ed. 14th
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LICall

Postby DaveW » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Coach wrote:The answer in in the AHPP.

architectural positivism.
DaveW

Postby vjam » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:37 am

So, the AHPP makes an oh so small, yet oh so big change from the 13th to the 14th (Student) edition? My book (13th ed) clearly states that Construction Documents are ALL of the written and graphical documents, and shows the graphic encompassing the whole thing, Bidding Docs to Contract Mods. Your 14th ed. shows the Construction Docs as only the drawings & Specs. And no nomenclature for the whole compilation of documents. I wonder what else is wrong with the 13th edition...?
vjam

Postby Vitruvius » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:26 am

Took this portion Saturday. Though you need to be familiar with the chart, I would recommend you study the AIA - A201 and B101 contracts fully. Then, also study the AIA - A201 and B101 contracts fully. Finish by reviewing and knowing the AIA - A201 and B101 contracts fully. :shock:

This test should be renamed AC&CDS ... AIA Contracts & Construction Documents, Somewhat ;)

Also, the clock seems to run a lot faster @ Prometric for some reason, ;) so keep an eye on that... lol
Last edited by Vitruvius on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vitruvius

Postby LICall » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Vitruvius wrote:Took this portion Saturday. Though you need to be familiar with the chart, I would recommend you study the AIA - A101 and B101 contracts fully. Then, also study the AIA - A101 and B101 contracts fully. Finish by reviewing and knowing the AIA - A101 and B101 contracts fully. :shock:

This test should be renamed AC&CDS ... AIA Contracts & Construction Documents, Somewhat ;)

Also, the clock seems to run a lot faster @ Prometric for some reason, ;) so keep an eye on that... lol

Are you saying A101 or A201
LICall

Postby Coach » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:02 pm

vjam wrote:So, the AHPP makes an oh so small, yet oh so big change from the 13th to the 14th (Student) edition? My book (13th ed) clearly states that Construction Documents are ALL of the written and graphical documents, and shows the graphic encompassing the whole thing, Bidding Docs to Contract Mods. Your 14th ed. shows the Construction Docs as only the drawings & Specs. And no nomenclature for the whole compilation of documents. I wonder what else is wrong with the 13th edition...?

Interesting.
The 13th edition references the CSI organization/naming and the 14th doesn't. The revised actually adds an all-encompassing name, "Project Documents", which is very appropriate.

One thing to keep in mind (to avoid confusion but not necessarily change affect test answers) is that content of addenda and modifications, to the extent that they change the construction documents, become part of the construction documents.
Actually, the nature of addenda and mods is to amend some part of the project documents.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Vitruvius » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Coach wrote:Are you saying A101 or A201

YES! Sorry about that, its the A201 and B101
Vitruvius

Postby alisabet12 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:30 pm

good catch! I read it A201 even though it's written as A101. I guess I've been thinking A201 for this exam.
alisabet12

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES