2nd Fail

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

2nd Fail

Postby ildecoll » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:34 am

Just failed for the 2nd time, I thought questions were all easy and vignette was doable, but I was wrong.
ildecoll

Re: 2nd Fail

Postby aa_banned » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Most people fail an exam because of errors that they do not know of, not the errors that they know they have made. Well, if you know the errors, you probably would not have made them.

CDS has a limited but very detailed scope of exam.

CDS is the EASIEST division if you read the right materials. I think ANYONE can study and pass CDS in 2 weeks if it is done right. No experience needed: Wells, experience is helpful but NOT mandatory.

If you want an easy pass to build some confidence, go for CDS.

Crank on it for 2 weeks, pass it, and get it out of the way.
aa_banned

Postby chedin » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:57 am

What materials did you use to study for the test? And we're you able to post practice vignettes on here? Perhaps we can suggest good resource material for you and maybe a few ways to study to help retain information?
chedin

Postby kstars04 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:28 pm

I disagree with Gang. At my firm there is a group of us taking the exams, with a range of experiences. We are all studying 3-4 hours/day and on a tight schedule (2-3 weeks for CDS). We are studying Ballast chapters, NCARB, Jenny's Notes, various practice exams, and the Dorf guidelines for vignettes, and lecture once a week. All SIX of us with 2-3 years of professional experience FAILED CDS.... the people who passed have had 10+ yrs of experience (!!!). No exaggeration here. There is definitely something to having experience for CDS - and I promise you, we all felt as prepared as can be with 2-3 weeks of cramming!
Last edited by kstars04 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kstars04

Postby Coach » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:34 pm

kstars04 wrote:I disagree with coach.

Huh? Are you really confusing me with Gang Chen?
Do it again and you're both banned.

At my firm there is a group of us taking the exams, with a range of experiences. We are all studying 3-4 hours/day and on a tight schedule (2-3 weeks for CDS). We are studying Ballast chapters, NCARB, Jenny's Notes, various practice exams, and the Dorf guidelines for vignettes, and lecture once a week. All SIX of us with 2-3 years of professional experience FAILED CDS.... the people who passed have had 10+ yrs of experience (!!!). No exaggeration here. There is definitely something to having experience for CDS - and I promise you, we all felt as prepared as can be with 2-3 weeks of cramming!
Good experience is crucial, especially for CDS. That said, 2-3 years is plenty if you have good experience.
However, it is a double-edged sword. You have to be smart enough to know the differences between how things are done at your firm and how you're expected to answer the questions.

BTW, I'm not surprised you all failed. I never liked study groups. If the dynamic is wrong (and it usually is), group think sinks in and you all fail to think rationally... or, one idiot consistently convinces all of you into believing the wrong things.

You've got to learn this stuff on your own time and in your own way.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby michombre » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:28 am

I agree with Coach regarding study groups to a point. I meet two of my friends twice a week at lunch and we review things that may be unclear or share information we have found (including this site) to keep each other on track.

I personally do not like studying with a group, but checking in with my friends a couple of times a week has helped focus where I may need to concentrate. My first attempt at CDS I passed the MC and failed the vignette. Talking with my colleagues I know what I did and feel I can knock this thing out now. I am taking the test again tomorrow so I should know hopefully on Friday how our planned worked!

Just wanted to share my thoughts and experience so hopefully your next attempt is a success.
Last edited by michombre on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
michombre

Postby kstars04 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:18 am

Oops! My bad. Sorry didn't mean to confuse you...

And agreed, studying needs to be at one's own pace, which is exactly what I plan to do after I finish the 2 exams I already signed up for... nice insight.
kstars04

Postby Coach » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:49 pm

kstars04 wrote:Oops! My bad. Sorry didn't mean to confuse you...

Insult is more like it.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby LICall » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:51 pm

Your words, give me hope!
I have more than 10 years experience, but last 10 months I was recuperating from and accident. Now trying to remember.
Please what CDS material you recommend for this 2 week frame study?

aa_banned wrote:Most people fail an exam because of errors that they do not know of, not the errors that they know they have made. Well, if you know the errors, you probably would not have made them.

CDS has a limited but very detailed scope of exam.

CDS is the EASIEST division if you read the right materials. I think ANYONE can study and pass CDS in 2 weeks if it is done right. No experience needed: Wells, experience is helpful but NOT mandatory.

If you want an easy pass to build some confidence, go for CDS.

Crank on it for 2 weeks, pass it, and get it out of the way.
LICall

Postby DaveW » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Coach wrote:
kstars04 wrote:BTW, I'm not surprised you all failed. I never liked study groups. If the dynamic is wrong (and it usually is), group think sinks in and you all fail to think rationally... or, one idiot consistently convinces all of you into believing the wrong things.

You've got to learn this stuff on your own time and in your own way.[/color]

I agree. I think forums fill the void of study groups pretty well for these exams.

In the forum, a user has dynamic access to thousands of potential minds. There's always bound to be a few folks interested in your question. And on any given day. Usually, there' s a mutual give and take of knowledge at the leisure of the forum user.

Meetup type study groups are inherently static because the knowledge-wealth potential is limited to something like 5-10 participants. And like you say, usually one low-iq alpha male/female prevails in the group. It's true what you say.

I think people misunderstand meetup study groups because they think the ARE can be handled like a like a business activity where social interactions will negotiate the study at a better pace, when in reality your just rushing through the whole process.
DaveW

Postby ildecoll » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:36 am

I think I concentrated too much in the contracts, Kaplan and the commissioning things plus the vignette, and study very little of codes and the graphic standard and the architects handbook...I'm going to nail this exam the third time, I'm sure of it....
ildecoll

Postby Bonddevil » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:07 pm

I have to say, when Coach's criticims are aimed at you it can come off as down right sardonic, but his comments on this thread are both hilarious and totally justified. When I took CDS (my very first section), I had about 4 years of full time experience, not a single day of which did I ever spend looking at contracts. Everything I needed to pass was in the study materials or from classes in school. This exam section has been recommended as a good starting point in many places and I firmly agree that it's the perfect subject matter with which to wet your feet. And yes, it's entirely logical that one bad (poorly informed) apple in your bunch cost your whole study group.
Bonddevil

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES