Please review my NCARB vingette

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Please review my NCARB vingette

Postby michombre » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:03 am

I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at my NCARB vignette results and give some feed back. This will be the second time I have taken this test and I failed what I thought was going to be the easiest part (the vignette) and I don't want a repeat.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michombre

Re: Please review my NCARB vingette

Postby dayzee » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:42 am

I've been working through the same one and from what I can tell it looks like the space you have between your ceiling and the bottom of the structure is too large, if the idea is to minimize construction. How I've been approaching it is to find the largest duct depth on the first floor (seems to be 24") and the largest one on the second floor (20") and adding that to the 8" clearance for the lights to locate the underside of the structure for each level. Coach is this right approach?
dayzee

Postby michombre » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:46 pm

dayzee wrote:I've been working through the same one and from what I can tell it looks like the space you have between your ceiling and the bottom of the structure is too large, if the idea is to minimize construction. How I've been approaching it is to find the largest duct depth on the first floor (seems to be 24") and the largest one on the second floor (20") and adding that to the 8" clearance for the lights to locate the underside of the structure for each level. Coach is this right approach?

dayzee thanks for taking a look at my building section it is always good to have another set of eyes! I was using the same approach, but used the 32" duct coming out of the riser as my largest duct and 24" as my deepest joist on the first & second floors and a 24" duct and 32" joist in the lab. The way I understood the program, the ceiling has to remain flat so any other combination would require a step in the ceiling to accommodate that 32" duct. Is that how you saw it?

I also watched Dorf's video and he seemed to be saying the same thing about the 32" duct from the riser. I think I may still be a little confused on how to determine the largest duct/joist combo. Anyone else care to weigh in and clear up my confusion?
michombre

Postby dayzee » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:22 pm

michombre wrote: I was using the same approach, but used the 32" duct coming out of the riser as my largest duct and 24" as my deepest joist on the first & second floors and a 24" duct and 32" joist in the lab.

From Ballast (Pg 54-1) "Carefully note the largest depth of the duct in the floor under consideration .... Remember, that in plans, duct dimensions are given with the width first and then the depth; for example, a 36 in by 24 in (36x24) duct is 24 in deep." Double check your depths. I think you might be reversing them?
dayzee

Postby michombre » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 am

Very good! I will check out the Ballast page you referenced. I appreciate the help.
michombre

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES