Practice test: Ballast vs Kaplan

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Practice test: Ballast vs Kaplan

Postby peanut817 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:23 pm

I was feeling really prepared for this test until I just took the Ballast practice exam and scored a 73%. I scored much higher on the NCARB and Kaplan tests (in the high 80's). Is the ballast practice test much harder than the real exams? Do I have a reason to start freaking out?! (testing Monday)
peanut817

Re: Practice test: Ballast vs Kaplan

Postby enisarch » Sun May 18, 2014 5:49 pm

I see no reason for panic simply because what should've been done has been done already. Like in my case, i am testing on Friday, 23rd of May, and did the practice exam for Ballast last week and scored only 70% and 79% for NCARB. Ballast's wording for some questions is sometime an utter nonsense, like its vignettes preps and practice test, yet it is a good dource to study from. We have to be fighters on the test day with a high spirit and enthusiasm to pass. Yet, we have to be prepared for some WTF questions, but certainly no panic!!!

Good luck for tomorrow and keep calm
enisarch

Postby Corkscrewed » Wed May 21, 2014 1:36 am

FYI, I bombed the Ballast practice material (like 58%), scored highly on Kaplan (78%), and scored highly on NCARB practice questions (80% first try before I ever started studying) but passed the test.

Take that for what it's worth. I believe Ballast questions are more insidious and convoluted than real life, while Kaplan tends to be easier or simpler.
Corkscrewed

Postby Deego » Wed May 21, 2014 6:24 am

hello,
i was wondering how are you scoring your exams from ballast and kaplan tests, i would like to integrate in to my study procedure....thanks
Deego

Postby sccdc » Thu May 22, 2014 9:57 am

I just wanted to say that I have taken and passed SS, PPP, and SPD, and for every one of them, I completely bombed the Ballast practice test. I'm talking barely over 50%.

I don't know what percentage gets you a pass on the real thing, but I'm guessing that I've had much better scores on the real tests than the practice ones. I think the practice tests are pretty hard, but good prep.
sccdc

Postby sccdc » Thu May 22, 2014 9:59 am

To answer your original question, peanut, a 73% sounds like a pretty high Ballast score to me, ha! You'll be fine, and definitely don't plan any freak outs.
sccdc

Postby kikstear » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Testing in a week... bombed the ballast practice exam (wishing I scored 70s) but also freaking out. The other practice problems I've been doing have been going much smoother so this put me in shock. Some of my coworkers have said though that it's not unusual to do worse on ballast.
kikstear

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES