1st Attempt 1st Vignette NCARB

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

1st Attempt 1st Vignette NCARB

Postby chedin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Attached is my first attempt at my first vignette for my first test - coming up on Monday. I utilized the NCARB practice vignette for the 64 bit machine.

Ceilings overlap bearing walls by a click (should I not overlap the ceilings?)

1st floor = 8'4" ceiling, largest duct size w/ 24" joist is 32x24, 8" clearance for lights, footings are 6'4" to accomdate for 4" SOG and 5' frost line, slab is broken at each footing/footing wall, Corridor wall rated and extended to underside of slab, partition wall non-rated and extends to 6" above ceiling
2nd floor = 9'0" ceiling, largest duct size w/ 24" joist is 24x20, 8" clearance for lights, 2' parapets, Corridor wall rated and extended to underside of slab
Lab = 15'0" ceiling, largest duct size w/ 32" joists at 5'0" o.c. = 24x20, 8" clearance for lights, 2' parapet

Dorf lecture said give a little extra room so I gave an extra 2" between my ceilings and the bottom of my joists to ensure I wasn't underbuilt, should I just keep it exact?

I did not pull the ducts to the absolute bottom of the joists although there is room to do so. Should I have?

Sorry the image is so bad, I couldn't print screen because I was VPN so I took the photo with my iPad (hence the poor quality).

I learned the hard way to draw the grade then draw the slab before drawing everything else. I had to move everything up 4" and wasted time. Lesson learned :-)

Thank you for your comments and help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chedin

Re: 1st Attempt 1st Vignette NCARB

Postby Coach » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:30 pm

chedin wrote:Ceilings overlap bearing walls by a click (should I not overlap the ceilings?)

I wouldn't.

Dorf lecture said give a little extra room so I gave an extra 2" between my ceilings and the bottom of my joists to ensure I wasn't underbuilt, should I just keep it exact?

If you trust your calcs be as precise as possible.

I did not pull the ducts to the absolute bottom of the joists although there is room to do so. Should I have?

Ducts may be anywhere between light space and bottom of joist.

I learned the hard way to draw the grade then draw the slab before drawing everything else. I had to move everything up 4" and wasted time. Lesson learned :-)

Yes. Work up and down from grade.

Generally looks good.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: 1st Attempt 1st Vignette NCARB

Postby Talia303 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:40 pm

For the duct size on the second floor, was it a 20x12 duct? Did you round up to 24" or should it be 12"?

Also, I think you meant to say your footings are 5'-4" (not 6'-4").

I'm working through my first attempt at this vignette, so just trying to figure a few things out...thanks!
Talia303

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES