vignette - deck edge

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

vignette - deck edge

Postby Kosaru » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi everyone, a quick question on joist/deck.

How much overlap should the joist/deck and bearing wall have? I'm sure somebody has already answered it in the forum, but I haven't been able to find the thread.

bearing wall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kosaru

Re: vignette - deck edge

Postby thisistimsid » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:05 pm

the following is directly copy-pasted from sbyrktct's ARE Help
http://arehelp.webs.com/cds

- slab on grade... bottom of slab at grade level not top of slab at grade level
- bring foundation wall up to t.o. slab
- put bearing walls on foundations, not on slab
- t.o. footing at frost depth
- interior bearing wall set on foundation wall, but footing is directly below slab
- interior non-rated partitions extend 6" above finished ceiling
- interior rated partitions go from t.o. slab to b.o. floor deck and t.o. floor deck to b.o. roof deck
- break finished ceiling at each partition/bearing wall
- joists/deck extend 4" into bearing walls
- plenum depth = 8" (for lighting) + largest joist/duct combo found in that ceiling
thisistimsid

Postby Kosaru » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:46 am

Super helpful! Thank you for the response.
Kosaru

Postby Neves » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:48 am

I'm copying over this from an other thread but if you go into the link in the quote it brings you to the NCARB video that they break down how the vignette is graded. I only point this out because the slab can go two different ways and you will get the same end result per NCARB not some second hand unofficial source that isn't endorsed by NCARB.

This is a link to the thread I copied from http://arecoach.com/coachforum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26124

Neves wrote:I think you need to quote the NCARB Video more closely to see the point they are making.

i.e. when she points out that the slab is graded as a minor feature in the total score.

Major + Minor + Grade Line = Total Score

Slab on grade must be located at grade line. You may draw the slab on grade so it's top or bottom lineup with the grade line. The location does not affect the scoring calculation.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDSYme3LFU0

She also talks about how to draw the grade line which is a critical feature that deals with the way the algorithm grades the test. The algorithm doesn't care about construction practicality which I think is the key point.

~The building section vignettes includes one major critical feature. You must place the grade line if you don't our computer based scoring algorithm will find your solution unacceptable.
~Start by drawing the grade line, because that line defines from which all other elements are positioned vertically. You may draw your section above, bellow or directly on top of the plan, the location does not affect the scoring calculation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDSYme3LFU0

lol, I interrupt that as the algorithm checking positive heights and negative heights in relationship to grade line in different directions.

The only thing the algorithm checks with the slab is its top or bottom aligning to the grade line and then relationship between the top of slab to ceiling height.....
Neves

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:03 am

Neves wrote:I'm copying over this from an other thread but if you go into the link in the quote it brings you to the NCARB video that they break down how the vignette is graded. I only point this out because the slab can go two different ways and you will get the same end result per NCARB not some second hand unofficial source that isn't endorsed by NCARB.

This is a link to the thread I copied from http://arecoach.com/coachforum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26124

Neves wrote:I think you need to quote the NCARB Video more closely to see the point they are making.

i.e. when she points out that the slab is graded as a minor feature in the total score.

Major + Minor + Grade Line = Total Score

Slab on grade must be located at grade line. You may draw the slab on grade so it's top or bottom lineup with the grade line. The location does not affect the scoring calculation.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDSYme3LFU0

She also talks about how to draw the grade line which is a critical feature that deals with the way the algorithm grades the test. The algorithm doesn't care about construction practicality which I think is the key point.

~The building section vignettes includes one major critical feature. You must place the grade line if you don't our computer based scoring algorithm will find your solution unacceptable.
~Start by drawing the grade line, because that line defines from which all other elements are positioned vertically. You may draw your section above, bellow or directly on top of the plan, the location does not affect the scoring calculation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDSYme3LFU0

lol, I interrupt that as the algorithm checking positive heights and negative heights in relationship to grade line in different directions.

The only thing the algorithm checks with the slab is its top or bottom aligning to the grade line and then relationship between the top of slab to ceiling height.....

Are you aware that NCARB hands out advice that conflicts with their own programs?
Their study guides contain errors. Don't assume they magically become perfect by using a different means of communication.
Sparky83

Postby Neves » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:16 am

I'm aware of that Sparky however in the case of this recent video they did not hand out incorrect information. I think it's arrogant to assume when NCARB went out of their way to tell you specifically how it is graded (10 Feb 2015) and say they don't know what they are talking about, however I'm supposed to believe an outdated source as the authority to NCARB????
Neves

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:44 am

Neves wrote:I'm aware of that Sparky however in the case of this recent video they did not hand out incorrect information. I think it's arrogant to assume when NCARB went out of their way to tell you specifically how it is graded (10 Feb 2015) and say they don't know what they are talking about, however I'm supposed to believe an outdated source as the authority to NCARB????

It's naïve to think NCARB is perfect just because they changed the method of communication. Errors don't have to be intentional.
Sparky83

Postby Neves » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:47 am

lol, so how does NCARB score the vignette and why can you get Coach to agree to two different solutions to how the slab and footing meet? Did you even watch the video, can you break it down as to what they are saying as wrong? Please enlighten me in the many ways the video is giving incorrect information besides because you said so, break it down?
Neves

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES