general vignette questions for test this Saturday

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

general vignette questions for test this Saturday

Postby pollypocket345 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:40 am

Hi Coach and all

I am testing this Saturday and have a few general questions about the vignette software:

1. Is it true that partitions should extend about 6" above the ceiling plane?
2. do foundation wall thicknesses ever need to be adjusted or is this always automatically assigned via the foundation tool?
3. How many inches do joists need to overlap into the bearing wall?
4. Do the joists need to overlap into the bearing wall only in the joist elevation tool or also in the joist section tool?
5. Do you ever need to draw a grade line from topography on the site?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)
pollypocket345

Re: general vignette questions for test this Saturday

Postby pollypocket345 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:59 am

Hi All

In addition to these questions, I would like to clarify if the deepest depth joist that exists on a floor is say 24", and the section is drawn through a 12" deep joist, do we account for the deepest joist depth plus deepest duct depth in our section? Say if the deepest duct is 12" deep, and we have 8" space for lights, we have a 12" joist (but there is a 24" joist somewhere else on that floor) then we will allow for 44" space between the bottom of the floor slab and the ceiling plane in our section drawing correct? This means we will have a plenum space beneath the bottom of the joists of 32". This will allow for the finish surface of the floor slab to be level despite the depth of the joist below.

Please let me know if this makes sense to people.

Thanks!
pollypocket345

Postby pollypocket345 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Oh Ok so after further probing...

I think it's all about the deepest joist/duct COMBO. So if you review the plan space by space to find the room where there is the deepest combination of both joist and duct, this is the depth you should plan for between the top of the light space and the top of the joist.

The way I described in my last post may not be helpful to add the deepest joist you can find + the deepest duct because they may not exist in the same space together. The deepest combo must exit in a single space, which in the case of both the 4.0 and 3.1 vignette, happens to be the space through which the section is cut.

If the section was not cut through the space with the deepest combo, you would still need to allow for the space for the deepest combo.

Talking to myself can be helpful... but if any of you masters can confirm my deep realization here I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
pollypocket345

Postby Coach » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:18 pm

pollypocket345 wrote:I think it's all about the deepest joist/duct COMBO. So if you review the plan space by space to find the room where there is the deepest combination of both joist and duct, this is the depth you should plan for between the top of the light space and the top of the joist.

Correct.

If the section was not cut through the space with the deepest combo, you would still need to allow for the space for the deepest combo.

Correct.

Coach
Site Admin

Postby Coach » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:21 pm

pollypocket345 wrote:1. Is it true that partitions should extend about 6" above the ceiling plane?

non-rated, yes.

2. do foundation wall thicknesses ever need to be adjusted or is this always automatically assigned via the foundation tool?

It's automatic.

A snap or two.

4. Do the joists need to overlap into the bearing wall only in the joist elevation tool or also in the joist section tool?

Take all into wall.

No.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby pollypocket345 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Thank you Coach.
pollypocket345

Postby jyll » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:45 am

Coach wrote:
pollypocket345 wrote:1. Is it true that partitions should extend about 6" above the ceiling plane?

non-rated, yes.

It's automatic.

A snap or two.

Take all into wall.

No.

re: #3, 4 is this correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jyll

Postby hangryarch » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Coach wrote:
pollypocket345 wrote:I think it's all about the deepest joist/duct COMBO. So if you review the plan space by space to find the room where there is the deepest combination of both joist and duct, this is the depth you should plan for between the top of the light space and the top of the joist.

Correct.

Correct.

I'd just like to say, that after searching all the forums out there, watching all the videos I can out there, reading every little detail I could think of, this is the ONLY PLACE online where someone gave me a direct answer to this question. BLESS YOUR SOUL COACH!
hangryarch

Postby shar.ak » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 am

Coach,

I am a little confused reading several posts on this topic and want to confirm if my understanding is correct. Could you please confirm if the following scenario makes sense?

The section is cut through 24” joist and 16” duct = total depth 40”. However, another combination, 32” joist and 12” duct exists on the floor = total depth 44”

While drawing the section, I need to consider the 44” total depth. Since the joist at section line is 24”, I need to draw a 20” sketch rectangle below the joist.

Correct?
shar.ak

Postby Coach » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:16 am

The best process is to use sketch rectangle for the entire governing combo and place top of joists at top of rectangle.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby shar.ak » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 am

Got it. Thank you Coach.
shar.ak

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES